Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-12-2009, 10:36 PM   #11
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
Rambling is all well and good, but Microrot knows you've bought Windows 7 ......

Euuurrrggghhh .... no, I didn't buy Win 7, my lovely boss payed for the needed licenses.
As my boss still wants me to do some work on a "we call you when we need you" base, (even if I'm on early retirement now, you simply gotta love that Belgian system), he has to provide me with adequate hard/software to jump in when he needs me.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 15-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #12
aarne
Lucifer

ROFL, Our school gives us free windows 7 license key and free midrosoft office license key....Maaan thats just epic
<T-Wolf> ya, why man?
<RdAwG20> lol, just wondering, was her namne alisson?
<T-Wolf> you mother f*cker
aarne is offline                         Send a private message to aarne
Old 16-12-2009, 09:18 AM   #13
Saccade
[BANNED]

Generating Win7 License keys is a *lot* more difficult than WinXP, etc...

Classic View just isn't the same... It looks a bit naff, imo. I've found that, with a lot of patience, you can tweak things to get it looking as near as dammit to how you're used to running older OS'. Even MacOS.

It appears as if Win7 has decided that, because the hardware is available, it needs to maximise its use of it. At all times. It really does use a lot more juice than other OS', I think.
This means you end up installing 3rd party apps for a lot of window's external processes (and some that aren't) as they are just better than what comes in-package.
MS have really skimped when it comes to upgrading a lot of things, like the Defrag you mentioned, Dos - I'm using Rax's Perfectdisk.

Maybe this is my biased anti-windows-cos-I've-an-MCSE-qualification thing, but, having used and played with win7 for a few days, I still prefer XP.
But, then, I preferred WinNT to XP/Me/2000, so maybe I just like what I'm used to..?
I think that it's great that there is full support for massive HDD's and more RAM can be used efficiently and (stable) multi-processing is now available for everyone (who can afford it, at least), but - like Vista - Win7 just doesn't seem complete...

Something is missing, and I think thing is "the loving touch".
It feels as if I could pull one thread out of Win7 and the whole thing would untangle.

(This post is a smoke-screen to get people talking about Win7 key-gen
atm, you can go in-store and - if the staff aren't looking, or are friends - get keys from there; you can also get them off PC's, like from HP or Compaq, where they stick them onto the Case. Though... a gen is always better)
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade
Old 06-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #14
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Hi,
I have 2 PC with Win 7 Ultimate in my 4-PC home network.
It is a real pleasure to work with these ones.
RAM - 1 GB, 1.4 GHz.
-
I have Win98, XP Pro and 7 of all my PC's. Never used Vista and 2000.

With all my respect to above mates, I tested 7 on PC with 384 MB RAM.
Repeat - 384 MB RAM. Worked satisfactory. Yes.

Pls I do not want a discussion like:
Win or Linux?
How many devils can collected on the top of a needle.

Note: All depends of your habits and requirements.

Thank You, folks..
yoga is offline                         Send a private message to yoga
Old 14-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #15
fettoswe
Forum hobbit

We only thing I can say about Windows 7 is :thumbs: (compared to vista)

I work at an IT-department and all our clientcomputers are now Win7 based. We now give less Windows less support compared then everyone used vista or xp.

I still run XP at my main computer at home just for the compability issues for some older games
fettoswe is offline                         Send a private message to fettoswe
Old 30-03-2010, 08:06 PM   #16
The_Lemming
The King of the Lemmings

Who needs Windows 7? Ubuntu 10.04 for the epic win!

Windows is a bloated and outdated OS.

"When Microsoft starts making software for Linux, it means I've won."
--Linus Torvalds
The_Lemming is offline                         Send a private message to The_Lemming
Old 31-03-2010, 04:38 PM   #17
Kugerfang
_r.u.s.s. changed it :'(

I run Windows 7, and I have to say it's very good. Still not as good compared to good ol' XP. Interface is better, and most (but not all) of my old programs work on it. I have to warn you though, before getting 7, please look up if your hardware has drivers for Win 7! I have a fairly new PC, so the hardware supports 7. It's also a little more resistant to viruses because autorunning stuff from USBs is now disabled. Also, Windows is not old and bloated. If your Windows PC is running slow, it's probably your fault.

-Terry Pratchett
Kugerfang is offline                         Send a private message to Kugerfang
Old 31-03-2010, 07:03 PM   #18
The_Lemming
The King of the Lemmings

If Windows isn't bloated, then why does it take up an entire DVD worth of space just for the install disc, while Ubuntu can fit

-A Live environment that lets you try the OS without risk to your existing OS

-A PDF reader

-A full-featured office suite

-the GIMP

-the F-Spot image program

-a default video driver that works with nearly all video cards nearly as well as those cards' proprietary drivers

-visual effects better than anything yet found in Windows

and more on a single CD? Windows takes up an entire DVD for an OS:

-that you can't test-drive like you can with Ubuntu

-doesn't come with a PDF reader by default (you have to install Adobe Reader)

-doesn't come with a decent image-editing program by default

-doesn't come with an office suite, forcing you to buy a completely separate product (Microsoft Office)

-and has a video driver that stinks by default, forcing you to go to the manufacturer's website and get the driver.

"When Microsoft starts making software for Linux, it means I've won."
--Linus Torvalds
The_Lemming is offline                         Send a private message to The_Lemming
Old 03-04-2010, 01:54 PM   #19
Kugerfang
_r.u.s.s. changed it :'(

Look, I have used Ubuntu and I can say it's good. Very good. About Windows not having all that awesome software and shiz: I have no problem reaching for the box my video card came in, taking out the driver CD, and installing it. I also have no problem downloading Firefox, GIMP, OpenOffice, a PDF reader (Adobe Reader is NOT a PDF reader, it's a piece of crap.), and all the other necessary software. I don't give a crap about visual effects, so I don't need 'em. (I did use Compiz for Ubuntu and I found it cool but unnecessary) And for the Live CD, you only really put the Windows cd when you want to reformat your PC.

-Terry Pratchett
Kugerfang is offline                         Send a private message to Kugerfang
Old 28-05-2010, 01:07 PM   #20
nourishing
Lurker

I have installed that just before few weeks.Really a great gift by Microsoft.This things are new as per my experience:You might want to check out our article about Windows 7 which has all the information you need to download the beta of the new Microsoft operating system. If you are not convinced yet that this is a good idea read on; You might be surprised:
Pin Favorite Folders
Problem Steps Recorder
Opening multiple Instances of the same program