Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-11-2008, 09:55 PM   #1
hultsfred

Default Dune sound issues

I can't seem to get the sound to work on the original Dune game.

I'm running it on DOSbox, have set sound to "Sound Blaster" in the game install/setup, and have the line "SET Sound=C:\SB\SB16" in my conf. file, because that fixed sound problems on some other games of mine.

An interesting little niggle, I'm not sure if it's relevant, but when I go to the "Globe" screen within the game, where the options for turning music on and off are, the option is set to "MUSIC OFF", and the "MUSIC ON" boxes are shaded in, so you can't click on them. That made be think perhaps I was running a version without sound, but if I look in my Dune file, I see file names that match up with the track list on Abandonia Frequency.

Right now I'm running the game with the radio on in the background, which actually works very well. It's great music. As a point of interest, is it possible to download that anyway? I apologise if that's a stupid question.
hultsfred is offline                         Send a private message to hultsfred
Old 10-11-2008, 06:49 AM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Have you set the correct IRQ (7), DMA (1) and Adress (220h)? These are the most common causes for this kind of problem.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 16-11-2008, 01:13 AM   #3
hultsfred

That wasn't the problem unfortunately. Never mind, I played the game through with Abandonia Frequency running in the background. One of the options in the Sound menu in the game is to play the music "as a CD" anyway.

This may be a stupid question, but is there any way to download the music to my hard drive, or do I have to run it from the site?
hultsfred is offline                         Send a private message to hultsfred
Old 16-11-2008, 05:49 AM   #4
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

the install saves it's configuration to comm.bat, so run comm.bat instead of dune.bat

it's a pity that voices has been ripped from this version we have on abandonia. it's worth the hassle to get the version with them (at least i'm pretty sure that once i heard a female voice speaking during the intro)
Old 16-11-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Hultsfred: Rune the game with the following command
duneprg ENG VGA SDB2207 EMS 386

Only senior staff members have clearance to download contents of Abandoned Frequency.
I could, however, upload the tracks elsewhere and give you a link.

_r.u.s.s.: You're thinking of Dune 2. That one has a female narrator in the intro sequence.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 16-11-2008 at 10:06 AM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 16-11-2008, 11:06 AM   #6
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Hultsfred: Rune the game with the following command
duneprg ENG VGA SDB2207 EMS 386
or run comm.bat ... it's already there