Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 17-10-2007, 06:55 PM   #291
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

If it's true you'll see C&C on Abandonia/Abandonia Reloaded soon...could you post a link please?
Old 18-10-2007, 07:21 PM   #292
Nyerguds
Game freak

Actually, my question was "Is command & Conquer 1 freeware now?"

http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?m...2950272#2950272

In that case, DOS C&C should be included.

Anyway, you can count it as abandonware from the moment WW released C&C95 anyway, and since C&C95 is freeware now, there should be no legal problems whatsoever with the DOS version.
Nyerguds is offline                         Send a private message to Nyerguds
Old 18-10-2007, 07:36 PM   #293
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

From the sounds of it, it looks like just the version that was released in September would be freeware, I'm not entirely positive that would include the other versions, since it was just said the version that was hosted is freeware.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 18-10-2007, 07:55 PM   #294
Nyerguds
Game freak

Oh come on... EA acts as if the DOS version never existed. They even literally called C&C95 "the classic that started it all", while C&C95 was actually released in '97, even AFTER Red Alert 1.

The game is 100% the same except for the screen resolution anyway.
Old 18-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #295
gufu1992
Inscrutable annoying boss

Send a message via MSN to gufu1992

We're talking EA here... they know what no one is going to try to find the game in store (thus they don't provide it there), and buy pack only for it.
Old 18-10-2007, 08:06 PM   #296
Nyerguds
Game freak

Honestly, it's really REALLY simple. It is the SAME GAME. The games are 100% identical except for the screen resolution, and it is obvious EA sees them as the same game anyway.

After all, they released C&C95 to give people "the classic that started it all". I can't see any harm in giving people the REAL one.

I only uploaded the DOS version to Abandonia because of the vintage feel of playing it in 320x200. I could just as well have made a C&C95 pack back then (in fact, I had), but I thought the real original deserved its place here at Abandonia more than the hi-res version.

Not to mention, the DOS version has LOADS less problems running on modern operating systems.

When the First Decade pack was released, I also made a DOS C&C addon for it. It was really popular and EA never minded about it.
(Heck, how could they? I fixed about 80% of their C&C1 and RA1-related problems in TFD. They used my fixes & suggestions in their official patches <_< )
Old 19-10-2007, 09:11 AM   #297
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

i think Nyerguds is right. we should put the dos version back and give link to Windows edition...

Afterall if one is "freeware" then so is the other - story, characters, graphics, music, sounds etc. and everyhting else that might be protected considering gameplay was released (well except the code itself).
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 19-10-2007, 03:51 PM   #298
Nyerguds
Game freak

And even the code is the same... it's just a port of the same code to run natively in Windows, with an increased resolution as an added bonus.

I've been hex editing the exe files of both versions for years (it's the only way to mod the game), and the internal data is pretty much exactly the same.

Also, I think the reason EA isn't releasing the source code of the game is quite simply because they never had it. Must've gotten lost when they took over Westwood.
Old 22-10-2007, 11:15 AM   #299
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

From official site:
We were excited to giveaway the original Command & Conquer to all C&C fans around the world during this celebration. We will no longer be hosting the files here on our official site but if you wish to download it, we strongly encourage you visit any of our fans sites in the links section on our official site here, or such as sites as FILEPLANET.com, to obtain the files.

We look forward to the 13th anniversary of Command & Conquer, thank you for your undying support!

The Command & Conquer Team

I think we can finally consider it Freeware
Old 22-10-2007, 01:27 PM   #300
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

see! i told you so!!!! :-P Looking forward to seeing it on Reloded - original DOS as well as 95 version (at least a link to this one)

Anyway...

just finished the GDI campaign... first time without cheating. final mission was like hot knife through butter...

I mean i basically parked my MCV next to their base (just far enough form obelisk to reach it. then i sandbagged them in, stole their ore, created an attack squad while smashing the obelisks using ion cannon (i also replaced the obelisk with a sandbag). the helplessness of the brotherhood was apperant. a few airstrikes later i erased that CHEATER of the map.

now it's time for nods, although I HATE their missions! mostly tactics as i remember and less strategy. i really don't like those commando mission and those missions when you get only a couple of units to smash the enemy... i like to build and to create my own base. my own defence system. so maybe i will try multiplayer instead.

i would only like to see the videos form NOD, so if there is a site where they have some savegames a link would be appreciated. I once found the site for Red Alert that had all the stuff like that but i can't find it anymore... :-(
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor