Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-11-2007, 08:13 AM   #71
nedela

thanks for the info japo. i will take time to have a look at the help file for defense+. right now i disabeleed it, cause it was making too much veryfying. i plant to enable it later, but i have to read the instructions first.
since my wife also uses the computer i don't want to have too many popup messages with decisions popping up. so far the firewall seems to be recognisisng most programs because i remembered that i sued clean PC option at install. but it did make one pop up (can't remember which programe, but i think it was avira update). it suggested that programme is safe so i confirmed and it all works well.

next weekend i plan to do a bit of monitoring on how many blocked transmissions are there.
torrents seems to work ok, vulnerable ports are also closed. or so it seems.

so all i need is learn how to use defence+ because it seems like a good protection. i am being a bit paranoid because the other person in LAN is not really that good with computers (i already need to install him a spamfilter) and also the IP provider is not amongh the best we have. especially security wise.
nedela is offline                         Send a private message to nedela
Old 26-11-2007, 03:39 PM   #72
Japo
Autonomous human

By the way CFP 3 is working well with most people including everyone I know, but judging from the Comodo forums it seems there are some bugs that may cause problems in particular configurations. They weren't caught before the release because none of the beta testers had the conflictive setups. So it may be a good idea to wait for an update or two, althout for me and most people it's working okay. You can always do a system restore or a bakcup image.

Also you can resort to the Comodo forums for all questions including P2P etc. Since it's a free product, support is provided in the forums --and I'll say that it works way better than a dedicated hotline anyway.

By the way my current security setup is:

Firewall and HIPS: Comodo Firewall Pro 3 with Defense+.
Resident antimalware: Avira AntiVir, Comdo BOClean.
On demand scanners installed: AVG AntiSpyware, Kaspersky online.

Everything free. There are other free self-contained (no installation) scanners such as CureIt!, I haven't used any but they may come handy some day. Also I run Windows as limited user and everything (JavaScript etc.) is blocked by default in the browser except for trusted sites. Actually I've never got infected (*crosses fingers*).
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 28-11-2007, 06:23 AM   #73
nedela

i am not running it on such a paranioid mode. still i don't think i got infected (because programmes never found anything...). i think mostly you just need to watch which sites you use and that helps a lot.
i do remeber getting a nasty one some time ago. not really a virus... it popped up naughty sites... but i had 98 then and i think some programme i ofund on net was the only one that detected and removed the bastard. no antivirus, spybot, adware or similar didnt' not detect it. just one programme designed to target this specific nastiness. and clean it up. since then no more problems.

but it's good to do some periodic clean up & scan of the PC i guess...
Old 28-11-2007, 11:25 AM   #74
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedela View Post
i am not running it on such a paranioid mode.
Running as limited isn't an inconvenience to me... even Microsoft advises it. As for JavaScript, it's no big deal either, I'm in the same old sites 99 per cent of the time and it's enabled for those that need it. Also I only need cookies for the sites where I want to log in, and I save myselft the tracking ones.

I don't scan regularly either, I defrag more often actually. Most times I just scan manually P2P downloads, or the system if the computer will be idle for a long while and I haven't scanned in months. The programs are more just in case I some day feel something's wrong, but they never detect anything not even cookies.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 29-11-2007, 05:47 AM   #75
nedela

i undersatand you...

actualyl i am the worst virus computer had. because one time in Win98 i overrided the read only protocols and deleted some system files. i thought they were just temp files and wanted to gain a bit disk space...
Old 30-11-2007, 07:50 AM   #76
GTX2GvO
The (Web)Space Pirate

What? That's Nothing!!
20 minutes after I started my (second hand) win 95 PC I was Forced to use a boot disk cause the PC didn't even wanted to start!!!

Never know what I actually did, but I do know I was the reason.

Member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
GTX2GvO is offline                         Send a private message to GTX2GvO
Old 17-12-2007, 06:34 AM   #77
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Seeing as some users here are using the COMODO Firewall Pro I decided to give it a go to maybe and hopefully improve the protection I had so far. After the free version of ZoneAlarm (which I thought was a good program) failed utterly to withstand even the first of 3 tests of Comodo Parent Injection Leak Test Suite I removed that piece of junk and installed Comodo instead, and guess what - it is much better than ZoneAlarm.
So whoever uses the free version of ZoneAlarm - if you want a good protection you'd be better off replacing ZoneAlarm with Comodo Firewall Pro instead, especially since that one is free too.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 17-12-2007, 11:03 AM   #78
Juanca
Eternal Player

All recomendations are very good... i have two more to ad
never let anything to automatically update (first of all windows update)
never let your computer connected to the internet if you are not in front of it or watching it from time to time
Sri Aurobindo
Juanca is offline                         Send a private message to Juanca
Old 17-12-2007, 12:50 PM   #79
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
Seeing as some users here are using the COMODO Firewall Pro I decided to give it a go to maybe and hopefully improve the protection I had so far. After the free version of ZoneAlarm (which I thought was a good program) failed utterly to withstand even the first of 3 tests of Comodo Parent Injection Leak Test Suite I removed that piece of junk and installed Comodo instead, and guess what - it is much better than ZoneAlarm.
So whoever uses the free version of ZoneAlarm - if you want a good protection you'd be better off replacing ZoneAlarm with Comodo Firewall Pro instead, especially since that one is free too.
Unless if you have pay for version of Zone Alarm which is just as good as comodo.
But comodo is free!
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 17-12-2007, 01:02 PM   #80
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

I still believe that Zonealarm whether free or not, is still pretty basic compared to a lot of firewalls out there, it does a decent job if your just looking at basic security, and monitoring your connections that are incoming and outgoing, but if you want more comprehensive protection, especially when monitoring and defining particular areas of security, and having more control and the flexibilty in these areas, there are much better firewalls out there, just have to search to see which one is right for you.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude